Sunday, November 12, 2006

Reynard



This little-known gospel band from Liverpool released two albums of traditional-sounding English folk in the late 70s, using the influence of English carols to create new music.

Their first album from 1976 Fresh From The Earth had major input from members of the last line-up of Parchment. It was produced by John Pac and Sue McClellan and Pete Yates-Round provided backing vocals.

I had never heard of them although they recorded with the same label, Grapevine, as issued Parchment's last album.

Even more interesting is the identity of the band's mandolin player, Dave Rycroft, presumably related to Keith Rycroft, the Parchment founder member who left following the severance of their contract with Pye Records in about 1974.

Fresh From the Earth contains a version of Golden Game which, therefore, predates Parchment's version on Rehearsal for a Reunion and seems to have more lyrics.

Reynard must have been reasonably well known as they headlined at Kamperland, Holland, in 1978 along with Parchment. They released their second album Green Anthem in 1979. Prior to 1975 they were known as Flight.

Their music is hard to come by but is available at this site.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

This site has put the albums on to rapidshare to download.

Anonymous said...

Just to give you a little more information, David Rycroft (who is my dad) is Keith Rycroft's cousin, so you were right to assume they're related.

Anonymous said...

Fresh from the Earth was Grapevine 102, making it the label's second album, dated in 1976.

Grapevine 101, the first, was I think the musical Ride,Ride!

Peter yates-Round said...

I had a lot of calls from Germany trying to glean more info re the band and the second album, It would be great to hear from the boys and find out if they are still playing together.

ROB said...

Hi! My name is Rob Jones and I am an original member of Reynard. If you wish to know anything about the band, do not hesitate to ask.

Anonymous said...

Hi Rob
Yes would love to post some more info about the band. Where did they come from, how long did they play for, how did you relate to the rest of the Roundabout movement etc?

Are there any more recordings?

If you want to discuss matters you can use the supplementary site, linked from the left column.

regards
pf

ROB said...

Hi pf, there is so much to talk about with Reynard and it's history! Please Email me on robjones@beatstreetmusic.co.uk and hopefully we can correspond regarding posting more info. about the band on the Parchment tribute site.

Spleencringe said...

I saw Reynard at a church hall in the West Midlands back in the late seventies. I was reminded of it tonight at my local folk singaround when someone sang 'Leviathan'. I was amazed and suprised to find after all these years I remembered the words (though, sorry Rob, not the name of the band till tonight's singer reminded me). I'd love to get a copy of that song...
Cheers, Nigel

Unknown said...

Hi Nigel, I'm Mal and I'm a founding member of Reynard. I wrote Leviathen, I am suprised to hear somebody sang it at a folk night. I'm rally chuffed.

Anonymous said...

Hi pf and Reynard

Caedmon have had a very satisfying time music making after 30 years......we've met seven of eight times and written a new album.

I recommend getting together, but especially to write some new stuff.

Will we see you in Edinburgh, pf? Wear a rose so we know who you are...


Ken Patterson Caedmon

(can't find my password but I'm not anonymous)

pf said...

Ken, maybe something more discreet! Trying to sort out travel arrangements so haven't ordered tickets yet - are there some left?

Ken Patterson said...

Yes still some tickets for both Friday and Saturday.

Phone 0131 556 9579 for box office.

Ken

Andy Wood said...

Well, well! It's good to read posts from Rob Jones and Mal Eden. I'm Andy Wood (vocals, tin whistles, gob iron and bongos) from Reynard. Maybe Dave Rycroft will catch up as well.

pf said...

Welcome Andy!

Dave said...

I have your autograph just found it in a box I went to see you live

https://www.dropbox.com/s/70hrb4jmlmjf7tb/pxl_20211130_141139353.mp.jpg?dl=0

Unknown said...

Hi I'm Dave, I saw the band play at Childwall Parish Church in 1979/1980. I have a copy of Green Anthem on LP, but have no way to play it. I've had the words of Covenant Cup running round my head all day, is there anywhere on line I can listen to it, or buy the album in an MP3 format?

pf said...

Hello Dave, Have just spotted your comment. What about getting some tracks on Youtube? Are there any band members still following this who could give the ok? cheers PF